



**UTAH COMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY
PSAP ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING
March 22, 2023,
Meeting Minutes**

MEMBERS PRESENT:

Mr. Neil Johnson – San Pete County, Chair
Mr. Scott Ruf – VECC, Vice-Chair
Ms. Alicia Gleave – DPS
Mr. Kevin Rose – Weber911
Mr. Karl Kuehn – Layton City
Mr. Justin Grenier – St. George 911
Mr. Jack Walkenhorst – All West
Capt. Travis Trotta - DPS
Ms. Shelley Peterson – Logan 911

OTHERS PRESENT:

Ms. Tina Mathieu – UCA, Interim Executive Director
Mr. Michael Veenendaal – UCA, Interoperability Director/SWIC
Ms. Sarah Wetmore – UCA
Ms. Melanie Crittenden – UCA, 911 Director
Ms. Elyse Haggerty – VECC Deputy Director
Mr. Phil Krebs – UCA, Radio Network Director

The meeting was called to order by Neil Johnson at 2:02 p.m.

Neil:

All right, let's get started. Let's start with roll call. So Carl, I see Carl, Alicia, I think she's on the phone there. Kevin, Captain Trotta.

Captain Trotta:

I'm here. Yep. Trotta? Yep.

Neil:

Trotta, here.

Scott:

Here.

Neil:

Justin.

Justin:

Here.

Neil:

Got you already, Shelly.

Shelly:

Here.

Neil:

And Jack.

Jack:

I'm here.

Neil:

I miss anybody?

Captain Trotta:

No.

Neil:

No Kevin yet. I know he had another meeting. All right, let's just move down the agenda then. Approval of minutes.

Scott:

Make a motion, Scott.

Neil:

Scott make a motion.

Justin:

I read them. Second.

Neil:

Justin seconds. All in favor?

Justin:

Aye.

Scott:

Aye.

Jack:

Aye.

Shelly:

Aye.

Neil:

Okay, perfect. And we'll just go right on down to... Is Phil on the meeting?

Phil:

Yeah, right here.

Neil:

Perfect. We'll go ahead and start with you Phil, with the...

Phil:

Okay. Yeah, I've got a minor P25 update and then also a Legacy 800 megahertz radio update. So for P25, we are now up to 130 out of 145 router back haul connections online. We're still at 94% on our sites that need civil remediation. So those are things like grounding, tower, concrete, anything like that. The snow's kind of been holding those up, but we're getting what we can done. Related to P25 console installations, we are done with region 20 currently and we've moved on to region 40. L3Harris is going out and installing those and then we're going behind them. They're also going through and installing the inter op gateways for the different... We'll call it legacy audio pieces. So this would be 800 conventional UHF, VHF conventional and they're putting those in the PSAPs right now. Any questions on P25? Okay. Legacy 800. Probably since the last time we've talked to you, we've brought Castle Gate online, Price PD and in the next week or so we'll be bringing on a Daggett County site called East Park. That's our update. Thank you.

Neil:

Perfect. Thanks Phil. Looks like we'll move down to Mike.

Mike:

Yeah, thank you. So interoperability update. We are in the final phases of getting out the fleet map for agencies to review for their agencies. That should be out by the end of the week, we plan on sending that to each agency head as well as the PSAPs for your review to make sure that we've met all the needed P20 or the needed talk groups that you're going to have within the system. There's of course some like public works and others that'll be coming on as we work through this. So when you receive that, if you'll work on getting that out to your agencies or making sure that they've seen that and received it, have the opportunity to review that. Make sure that we've hit everything that we need to. If there's adjustments that need to be made, please communicate that back with me so we can make

those adjustments and make sure we get everything you guys need, to do your daily operations as well as your extended interoperability across the state of Utah. Once we have that fleet map part signed off, then we'll start working individually with each of the agencies to begin one by one building the personality or what we call Codeplug today for the radios. Those that have purchased Harris radios within their jurisdictions, we'll be working to get those pre-programmed before the system goes live, working with each agency to get those loaded and in the hands of the agency so that as we begin our migration next year, we'll be able to already have those ready to go so you can make that switch easy. We will also will be beginning on a process, putting out to work with each of the agencies and PSAPs for our migration next year. So look for that in the next few months as we start working towards our end goal of migrating to the new L3Harris system. Look forward to that process and it's been a lot of work and I appreciate the feedback that your PSAPs and each of you have had over this process and the working groups that I've been able to meet with. We are still continuing training on that. We would like to still get as many people as we can so that we can have conversations about interoperability as well as how talk groups should work and what you guys have in your system. So each Wednesday I hold a virtual online training as well as we're going out agencies. We've hit several 100 people already with that training and I'm willing to come out anywhere across the state to provide that to agencies. So if you see a need or can get that message out there to help us be able to do that, I'd appreciate that. I think it's been going well, and it's also given us the opportunity to answer questions but also solve some problems that maybe we didn't see or things that needed to be adjusted along the way. So that's as far as the system and the changes there, that's where we're at. Further interoperability, the statewide is in a significant state activity level for the flooding that's anticipated over this springtime. They're forecasting the Santa Clara may hit a stage action stage today on the river down there as well as Upper Virgin River and canal basins. If you guys have any significant flooding events that cause communication issues that needs to be reported, doesn't get necessarily reported through your emergency management, if you'll shoot those to me, I can get them back to DEM as the [inaudible 00:07:03] F2 for communications interoperability and [inaudible 00:07:06] to make sure that we're staying on top of that for federal funding and other things that'll come out with that. So, we're monitoring that. We're working on making sure we have some... Our SRT trailers are ready to be deployed if we need action taken on any sites that may be affected or any communication that's needed across the state. I'm working closely with DEM on that, so I appreciate your help. If you guys see anything that needs action from the [inaudible 00:07:31] level on the flooding activities, that are going to take place across the state. Other than that, I don't have anything else unless you guys have something for me.

Neil:

Go ahead Scott.

Scott:

Hey, so really quick on the DEM thing, Mike, I don't know if this applied to any of the PSAPs, but I believe this last session or recently the governor released five or \$6 million, but the deadline was I think today and you can't use it for stuff you already purchased, but if there's stuff that you might be infected... Well maybe you'll be infected if you [inaudible 00:08:10] floodwaters but affected, I guess you get with your OEM coordinators for your city or your county because it has to go through them. But I think it's five o'clock, 1700 today to get something in. Again, I don't know if it applies to the PSAPs or not, but I just found out about it yesterday. It doesn't affect me necessarily and I don't know how far five million bucks is going to go in the state.

Mike:

I know that they're working on using some of that funding to purchase some monitoring cameras and other things like that. They've purchased 1.5 million unfilled sandbags that will be distributed out of, I believe the DEM warehouse at some point. So they have used some of that. But yeah, there was five million dollars that was allocated methodically, today is the deadline for that.

Scott:

Yeah, thanks. And then I had one more question.

Mike:

Yeah.

Scott:

I know I asked in a previous meeting or maybe it was just a meeting with you or I don't know if it was in this group or not, but so sorry, but when you issue for us to sign off on the fleet map, can you still provide the PSAPs or at least VECC, my agencies are expecting me to get their templates because I want to add separate columns next to that to compare the old with the new, and then I'm going to meet with them one on one and then when they meet with you, hopefully it'll be a much less painful meeting for you. I can't promise that, but I'm hoping to try to achieve that for you.

Mike:

You're asking just to provide what they have currently in their system as well, with it?

Scott:

Yeah, whatever you were going to send out to the agencies. I've already met with all my chiefs that I've requested from UCA previously. And I just want to reaffirm that request, that it comes to me as the PSAP director and overseeing the fleet map. Let me review it with all the new talk groups and then go to each of the agencies within a couple days and sit down with them, explain it, and then let them loose with you. Or you can just send it to them and it could be whatever.

Mike:

No, the PSAPs, I said it earlier today or at the beginning, the PSAPs will receive a copy of that. We want to work with you guys to help get that out because we know that you have direct contact with them as well. So we want to make sure that the message gets out there so you will receive the copy of that in that [inaudible 00:10:34].

Scott:

Yeah, the fleet map, it was the agency templates or code plugs or whatever we're going to call them.

Mike:

Yeah, the fleet map's the first part of that. So you guys will get that as well.

Scott:

Yes. Thank you. And then my other question was, and this might be premature, has UCA made a decision yet on the aliasing and the push to the consoles from the UAS?

Mike:

So from the training that we've been through recently, from what we've been told, is that it will not receive an alias at the console level. It'll only receive what UAS has. And UAS is limited to seven characters for the naming of the talk group. So that whatever's in UAS is what will be out on the console and from the training that we've had so far. I also have a meeting with a gentleman in [inaudible 00:11:23] County to ask further on this, but from the information that the training people have given us from L3Harris, the only thing that will show up on the console is whatever's programmed into UAS. It won't allow an alias, it will only allow that alias on the portables and mobiles.

Scott:

No, that I understand. What I'm asking is... I'm concerned about what you're putting in the UAS.

Mike:

Well, we're limited to seven. So I would...

Scott:

I get that.

Mike:

The Salt Lake law, whatever, Salt Lake fire, whatever, one through 27 or 45 or whatever you have, I mean those are what we're limited to put in there. We can't put out Cottonwood or long naming conventions on there. So that's what we plan on putting there.

Captain Trotta:

I think he's just asking, is can he [inaudible 00:12:19] say in it so it's easy to be identifiable and be able to work with his guys.

Scott:

He just said, sounds like no.

Captain Trotta:

Oh.

Scott:

That's what I just heard.

Captain Trotta:

All right.

Scott:

Did I misunderstand what you just told us, Michael?

Mike:

Well, I mean that's what we built from the beginning and that's what we've talked about the whole time, is that, that's why we're building it the way we were.

Scott:

I understand that. But we've also had ongoing conversations about the aliases and the portables and mobiles, but also what it's going to appear, how it's going to appear on the consoles. And I think at one point I made maybe a suggestion, especially for the bigger, busier PSAPs, is to put it on so it comes across the console and it says whatever, and then put the law number, the fleet map talk group number. If it's Salt Lake law 26, put the 26, make it fit inside those seven characters, so we know what law it is because I am very, very concerned about all of these law and other channels that the dispatchers are going to have to remember, who's on law five, who's on *TAC seven, who's on whatever, 32... That's my biggest concern. So I'm not trying to be intentionally difficult, but we have enough drama with the dispatchers and I just think adding another level to standby, I got to look up to see what that channel is, is a problem.

Tina:

So it's not a no because we don't want to work with you. It's a no because the systems not capable of doing that and aliasing it that way. The way you want it to be aliased. We can alias it that way on our radio, we cannot alias it that way over to the console. And that is the downside of Harris consoles. And we're just barely starting to get into our training right now. But for right now, that's what we've learned. Unless we're mistaken, which I don't think that they are, because they ask these specific questions. But this is not something that we don't want to do. It's something that the system isn't incapable of doing. It will show up on the radios as an alias and you can alias it that way on the radios but not on the consoles for whatever reason.

Scott:

Thank you Tina. I understand that. So my question is, when the UAS gets programmed, I'm going to just use Salt Lake County, if Cottonwood Heights is law 17, why can't it be in there as CHP for cotton and then CHP dash 17. So everybody else in the state, it's law 17, they don't care. Right? As long as they know where to go... What's the matter, Mike?

Mike:

It won't do that. In UAS, it is just going to be... It would just be CHP 17 for everybody. It wouldn't be law 17, it's only one way or the other in UAS.

Scott:

Well, I guess that's the question I'm asking because this issue, I'm hugely, hugely concerned. Very concerned. So while I understand what Tina said, that you're not planting your flag and say, no, we can't do it. Okay. So then what's the discussion then? If we don't have any options then I don't know... I don't

know. Maybe we have to give... Since this is an L3Harris thing and [inaudible 00:16:00] or a liability way to say, listen, if something happens... Because we get lost on the radio, we try to address the... I don't, I'm just really concerned about the dispatchers. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but for me with the number of talk groups and channels and the way they run comms here, the fire side, I'm not worried about. To me that's pretty clean, right? Fire rescue. Law enforcement, I'm definitely afraid of this.

Tina:

Well, so there's a lot of counties that do this already. I think Washington County, I know Weber County does it. There's other counties. I think Utah County does this. Part of why we were saying to you Scott and why we've had multiple conversations with you about your number of talk groups, is for the very fact that, I mean, you guys want 1000 talk groups and you're never going to use that many. And that's why we're saying, keep it clean, narrow it down, and be more realistic in terms of how many you actually use. How many your dispatchers can actually monitor. I think by having a million talk groups, even if you had it labeled Cottonwood, Cottonwood A day, Cottonwood Tuesday channel, Cottonwood Thursday channel, I think people are still going to get lost unless you streamline what talk groups you allow them to use and make it more succinct in terms of what's realistic of what they're actually using today. I know they want a million channels, but maybe that's the other discussion is to say, do you need that many? If we're being honest, police officers rarely switch a channel, you know what I mean? It's usually... I mean they go to service and back, but it's usually fire departments that are on OPS1, OPS2, OPS3 and switching all over.

Scott:

No, and I agree and I don't want to take up this whole meeting and we can have a follow-up offline, but I think based on those conversations, we already did that, right? Because I think initially when we looked at everything, we ended up with a crazy number of log channels. But then we parred them all the way back to, based on our discussions with UCA about the logger and what's going to be recorded. So we took I think like 60 something log channels and cut it back to... I got to pull the sheet up, but it's less than, I don't know maybe 40, 30, half of what we originally proposed. Anyway, I'm just bringing it up, okay, that's fine. I don't know. And I understand your point about the dispatchers not always being able to monitor all those channels, but it's what these officers are doing and all their special details and their secret squirrel squads and all these other activities and special enforcements they do. And then in my case, one of the things we try to do with L3Harris is, I despise patching channels for day-to-day operations. It's extremely dangerous. It's not good. So we moved all these off to, these three cities or two cities want to work together, so we don't need four talk groups, we need one now. But when they jump ship and something happens and they code the channel or whatever, they hold the primary and move everybody up... I don't know, I just got to look at the comps plan again and I just wanted to bring it up. But if I'm the only one that's worried about it, I guess I'll have to figure out a way to make it work.

Tina:

And again, we don't want to be a no.

Scott:

No, I know.

Tina:

It's the capability too. It's weird to us that you can alias it to a radio but you cannot alias it to the console. That doesn't even make sense to me.

Kevin:

And Tina, just because I'm looking online at screenshots of the symphony console and they have pictures of talk group tiles with full talk group description like North Patrol Main. So yes, I'd be shocked that Harris can't do that. That would just shock me.

Scott:

So Kevin, really quickly on that, and I didn't want to bring it up, but when I inquired about the UAS and I have the email, I'll send it to Tina and Michael from [inaudible 00:20:10] and those guys, they said the UAS is 32 characters, no special characters, no spaces. That's exactly what the email said. Now, I understand that...

Mike:

[inaudible 00:20:23] seven. So that's [inaudible 00:20:27], that's what's interesting to me.

Scott:

No, I will.

Tina:

Yeah, forward us the email.

Scott:

And I'm not trying to debate, I'm not at all insinuating you guys are just like, no, but doing the research and stuff, again, it's a really real concern for me of how it presents on the console. So I'll find that email from [inaudible 00:20:47], but again, I'm with Kevin and I just don't understand to your team, Tina, you can do radios and portables and everything else. Because you have to put all that information in the UAS as next to the radio ID and everything?

Mike:

No, it's pulling the number. So when we do the programming to...

Scott:

Oh, it's converted on the driver.

Mike:

Yeah, we would put it actually in there.

Scott:

Okay. All right.

Mike:

So we would grab whatever that numbering sequence is that it does for Salt Lake law, whatever, and it'll put it in the radio. So you'll see Salt Lake law, whatever and then you can alias it and right below that, it'd say Cottonwood PD or service or whatever like that as an alias that you put in the programming.

Kevin:

Hey Mike, did you hear back? Is that the case of Motorola radios also? Will they show the alias? Can you program the alias on the Motorola radios?

Mike:

So that's one thing I have a meeting with a gentleman on Friday with. Because he runs Motorola equipment on an L3Harris system. So we're going to double check with him. But from what the initial part was, is that it has capability. It showed the two different lines as well. But I want to make sure with him, he's actually running that with the L3Harris backbone and Motorola radios because we'll have a lot of those as well.

Justin:

Mike, I probably have an easier question for you. Just real quick. You said to get back with you regarding edits, changes. I know we're trying to clean up our channels a little bit and make things a little bit tighter and reorganized files a little bit because we've got some things up in the air. What's your timeframe for this, getting this back to you and getting this organized? Couple days, couple weeks, couple months? What works best for you?

Mike:

I mean we want to start get in a program. So I mean, I know it takes some time. I don't want to draw it down to a week because you guys need to review that, but I would say that we'd like to do it by the 1st of May, have those back so that we can fix anything that needs to be fixed in that meantime from now until then. So if we can have that communication, that'll help do that. And then we can send that out and start building the [inaudible 00:22:51] because it's going to take us several months to actually build those personalities with each of your agencies. Because we know some of them will have five or six different loads depending on SWAT and all that. SWAT, well, you'll have your SWAT team that will have certain talk groups that everyone might not have access to.

Justin:

Other than that, we should have basically no more than three to four loads down here. We've got it very tight.

Mike:

That's good.

Phil:

We've really discouraged the... But I'm special and I need a separate load. Of course, I'm sure our sheriff has a one-off. But other than that, everyone pretty much has the same stuff. Now, there's some other

VHS stuff and everything else but the stuff that we would ask you guys to program, 99% of our stuff's all the same other than emergency triggers.

Mike:

Perfect.

Scott:

My only other radio note, just for information only, I think I sent it to Mike a couple weeks ago. If you recall, when we were down at the stakeholder meeting in November, there were some questions about... I might have even asked it about supply chain and I think the Motorola rep was, there's not a lot of issues maybe with batteries, but six to eight or 10 week delivery. My guys up here that are trying to order Motorola radios, they're telling them six, eight plus months and they're not guaranteeing delivery before the end of the year. So if you have people getting ready to but... Sorry Tina, that's what they told us.

Tina:

Yeah, they've been, and they've told us the same. Motorola has been very upfront, that they definitely have a supply chain issue. They said that all along.

Scott:

Yeah. So I just wanted to relay that a couple of my chiefs went in audit, so I just want to caution them that if you're relying on the new radios for the go live, I would maybe look at switching to another radio. But anyway, I don't have anything else. Sorry. Thanks Michael. I appreciate it.

Mike:

Yeah, thank you guys.

Neil:

Okay, Mike, thank you. We've got Kevin for a short time. Melanie, would you be okay if we bumped you down the agenda just a bit? So while we've got Kevin, I think we'd like to discuss the best practice number five. Is everybody okay with doing that?

Neil:

Perfect. So we'll just open the discussion up.

Kevin:

So I think that, that probably needs... Well for sure needs to change obviously. I think that change would depend on what the process is going to be. I think I would look for some more guidance from UGRC and UCA on this, on how they want address corrections handled and managed. What the workflow's going to be for that. I think everybody has access to the Datamasters website to do [inaudible 00:25:49] changes, but I guess I'm still not clear, and maybe I'm missing something here, but what the end process and what the expectation is. I think once we can get that hashed out, then that really should end up being what that best practice is, is following that procedure for address corrections, street corrections.

Melanie:

I can come in if you want me to talk about that, Kevin.

Kevin:

Would love that. Thank you.

Melanie:

We actually are working internally with UGRC and Vesta on a process. It is a little bit confusing because you have everybody making changes to 911Datamasters already, trying to figure out at what point UGRC needs it, if they're getting the information from 911Datamaster and all of that. So I don't have a meeting until tomorrow afternoon to be able to talk about that process flow. But what I would like to offer or recommend to the group is if you do a work group of some sort for this, I would like if you guys assign a chair to that work group or whoever to join our meeting tomorrow at 2:00 PM and just get insight of what the internal... The backend kind of looks like. And maybe you'll pull something out of that to be able to change this best practice.

Justin:

Could you send us that information so we could assign people to that, Melanie?

Melanie:

The information for the meeting?

Justin:

Yeah, please.

Melanie:

Yeah.

Justin:

That'd be great.

Scott:

Can I ask one quick question about that?

Neil:

Yes.

Scott:

Would this be the opportunity to look at all the best practices and standards and just update them and make sure they're current and everything? Because one of the things I was going to bring up anyway that I always struggle with, if they're best practice is in standard, other than the answer times and the transfer rate tied to statute, I still struggle with why all the NENA, APCO, ANC, NFPA standards or best

practices aren't included in the UCA best practices. And I get it that not everybody can do everything and not everybody agrees with everything, but as long as they're not tied to statute, I don't know why they can't be adopted and published. If a sheriff or somebody decides they don't want to do it or I don't want to do it, then I just choose not to do it. I mean, if it's not tied to statute or money, but I think that all of those three organizations, they should encompass the best practices and standards.

Kevin:

I would agree with that to an extent. I think my only concern with that is from my experience, some of those NENA and APCO standards are pretty watered down and not very specific. And I think it's because they're trying to make everybody happy in the country. Even those PSAPs have horrible practices. They're trying to make them feel good about their horrible practices, that they're okay. I think it'd be wise to look at those, and say, is this a good base to create a best practice off? And then take what is really specific in Utah and apply that on top of that. I think that would be smart. But I think just adopting some of the NENA and APCO standards would be a step back in some cases.

Scott:

Yeah, so I didn't mean just blindly adopt them, but look at them, because ANSI is really the foundation for APCO and NENA if you really read the history. But there are stuff on the NFPA side because I keep getting hit with some of them from a lot of my chiefs, that I think that should be included even if you can't do it or don't want to do it. Like the EMD stuff, the number of telecommunicators, all that kind of stuff should be published as a best practice or standard. And if you choose not to do it, that's great or not great, but that's your decision. But I think we shouldn't selectively choose best practices or standards that are adopted in other services because somebody doesn't like it, or they can't achieve it. Again, it's not going to be settled today, but I think this is another opportunity to go back and do some housekeeping if required. To Kevin's point is, don't do it blind, don't do a copy and paste, but here's what we have today, here's what exists, here's the history, here's changing and do that. But that's all I wanted to say on that, if we're going to go down this road, take a chance to look at it, at them holistically again.

Tina:

So we can definitely look at all of them. I think that it would be worth getting with someone that's been on the committee for a long time or around for a long time, to look at what was done initially and presented initially because there were some of those standards that were in there initially and it turned into a rewrite with the PSAPs all sitting at the table and rewrote what is now best standard or the best practices and minimum standards. So I think it would be good. I mean certainly put it back on the agenda at another meeting. Obviously we're open to having the discussion with you guys, but I think there's a little bit of history there that you should probably look into also.

Scott:

Yeah, I agree. And this is a good and a bad for you, right? I don't always know most of the history, so I get in trouble sometimes. But I also think we should talk to the public safety committee too and say, listen, we're reviewing this and here's some law enforcement stuff. Here's some fire stuff. What's

important to them that we need to try to work on and best practice. And anyway, I appreciate listening and I just thought it was an opportunity instead of doing it piecemeal, maybe we do it every few years just to audit. Because I know at the end of last year the NFPA got rid of 1221 and 1061 and now there's 1225 is the new big combined standards. Yes, 1225. So thanks Tina. Thank you.

Kevin:

And getting back really quick to this one specifically though, Melanie, one question I'd like to have a little more clarity on is what exactly... Because my understanding is, you have the Datamasters' data set, which is essentially a transitional [inaudible 00:32:13] right? Is my understanding. This is why I want clarity on. So the stuff we're editing there is this transitional [inaudible 00:32:20] data, but the ECRF, LVF data is what UGRC's really managing. And so that's where I'm seeing this disconnect of, are we doing... I mean where do we draw the line on whose role is what, maybe it doesn't even make sense for us to be in Datamasters directly. Maybe this makes sense for us to be submitting this stuff to UGRC who are making those edits and pushing those down. That that's the big question that I'm trying to get answered of, really what that should look like.

Melanie:

Yep. I definitely... And I just want to clarify, do you want me to invite all of you, the committee, to the meeting tomorrow at two o'clock and those that can attend or want to attend, will do? I can send that to you guys. Does that sound good?

Neil:

That's great.

Kevin:

Yeah.

Melanie:

I'll do that. And Kevin definitely they should be going over that kind of stuff because it's been confusing to me as well. And I think that's just what the discussion's going to be. It'll be around that subject.

Kevin:

I think it'd be great. I think getting us all on the same page would be good.

Melanie:

Okay.

Neil:

So do we want to build a committee to address this? Does someone want to head that committee?

Justin:

We get through the meeting first and regroup and see how far apart everyone is before we suck up more of our time bureaucratically.

Kevin:

So it sounds like Justin just volunteered to head that group.

Scott:

I second that nomination. All in favor? Aye, aye, aye.

Justin:

Yeah. What? You guys all broke up. Right when Kevin started talking, it broke out there.

Scott:

I nominate Shelly as long as she can get it done by April 1st.

Neil:

Perfect.

Kevin:

All right, I got to drop off. Sorry guys. Thank you.

Neil:

Thanks Kevin.

Scott:

Thanks Kevin.

Neil:

All righty. So maybe we can address it via email after the meeting tomorrow. Make some decisions for the next meeting. So Melanie, we'll turn it back over to you and it looks like you got the next three agenda items.

Melanie:

Perfect. Thank you. For the phone project update, we are working towards closing out the implementation, which is really exciting news. There's a laundry list of checklist items that we're going through. And basically we are reengaging our 911 consultants to come back in, take a look at the RFP response that's in our contract and making sure exactly what is listed in the RFPs is exactly what we have in the PSAPs or exactly what's going on with the entire system. So there's a lot of pieces, moving pieces to that, but that's what we're looking forward to. I hope to see that done in the next 30 to 60 days. We also have the CC admin for Aware, we are doing a beta at Bountiful in the near future to test that, move them from the old Aware system over to be able to have the CC admin privileges and if it tests well and after they vet it, we will then be scheduling that to go across the state, which will allow the admin rights into Aware and to build your mapping layers. So, I should have more to come on that once they test it and get through that part of it. The quadrant policy routing that we discussed, Scott, for your policy routing at VEC, are you looking towards meetings or anything? I'm just asking, will you please invite me? I'd like to be engaged in that process. I think it'll be good for me to learn and listen and provide help where I can, but then when we turn around and take it to Motorola and UGRC and 911Datamasters,

what have you, I will know the information that we have going into it. So I'd appreciate if you guys would invite me to those.

Scott:

Yep. So really quickly, sorry, really quickly, I just want to let you... So what I did was, I've requested through Lynn, who's our [inaudible 00:36:16] and stuff, is to get me all of the ESN databases and we're going to have my GIS folks look and put them on a map with all the zones and everything. And then we're going to start there first internally before we even go to... Because what I'm afraid of is you pick an ESN or something in one area and then a quarter mile away there's another tower we missed. So we got some calls going here and some calls going there when it's busy. So we want to make sure on our side of it, it's as clean as possible, then I can meet with Davis and [inaudible 00:36:52] all the stakeholders around us and vice versa.

Melanie:

Perfect. That sounds great.

Scott:

And if anybody wants help, if you have that database and you want to send it, I can ask my GIS coordinator to plot it for your county on a map or something if you'd like. I can delegate that to him to help you out. At least for my neighbors anyway. I mean I'll help any of you, but I don't want to do all the counties if I don't have to, but I will help if you need it.

Melanie:

Perfect. And then the last... Just a reminder, any third party software that you guys are taking a look at that you think will touch any ports of the phone system, have any kind of connectivity to the phone system, just reach out to Josh and I in advance and just let us know that, that's what you guys are taking a look at. It's my understanding that if it does have to be connected somehow, it's not going to work or it's going to put up some type of alarm system, which makes me feel a bit better just knowing that, that's going to have to pull those guys in. But the more information that they're provided in advance, the better they can prepare for that to occur and be on site if needed and when needed. Do you have any questions so far with everything I've done for the update on [inaudible 00:38:06] 911?

Captain Trotta:

Nope. Can I ask a silly question on the cop side? What's the third party software that you would expect to put in? Is that our RapidSOS, Carbon, that kind of stuff?

Melanie:

Yep, exactly. I think that there's an enhancement to RapidSOS, that some are getting. There's Live911, I think, that some are getting carbines. So any of those that there is going to... I think it's a connection to the ports of the phone system that we definitely have Motorola vetted. In some cases they've already met with those vendors so it's already been vetted, but I want to make sure the security of our system is intact.

Captain Trotta:

Okay. Yeah, we got approached by Carbon. I know we use RapidSOS in a couple of our centers and I think Gus up in Summit is currently using Carbon and has dealt with them. I'm just wondering the impact it had or if they had any issues, if I need to put on hold moving forward.

Melanie:

Nothing that I know of so far, no.

Captain Trotta:

Okay. All right. Thank you.

Scott:

And Melanie, have you taken any consideration to maybe my suggestions about modifying the applications or add a third party application? Because it's really confusing on what we're supposed to do and emails for tracking purposes can be a little dangerous because we're so busy.

Melanie:

Tina, I have a meeting to discuss that because you've got add-ons to Vesta, you've got a third party that's over the top. You've got all these different things that are going on and we'll talk about that more and probably have some updates for you once we get that part figured out. But we appreciate the recommendations. Are we good to go to the next one? The budget?

Neil:

Yes.

Melanie:

Okay, perfect. FY24, we are heavily engaged in getting the budget, the draft budget ready for our board to take a look at. And what I wanted to bring to this group is, now that we've got the closure of the engine 911 system, I do want to jump into the training mechanism for PSAPs. But I really want to get a good idea from this group what your top three to five trainings look like. What is it that you guys want UC to take a look at? Going out to RFP or to get quotes for what have you. And I was hoping to get that list from you today, but if it takes a minute or two, I'm okay getting an email as well.

Scott:

Can I ask the question real quick? And if you just said it, I apologize because I zoned out and forgot what I was going to ask, but can we look at all different... Because one of the things I was thinking of proposing to this group and the PSAP managers is, with everything that's going on in today's world and the environment is, as a collective, is maybe look to adopt some sort of leadership, some sort of program to better manage people and systems and I don't know what the right word is, but maybe get an appropriation to offset some of the costs for programs like that that we could help work together. Because there is a big disparity in Utah in most states between big and little and personnel and management and leadership style and all that kind of stuff. I think this is a unique environment that maybe if we could get some funding, develop some sort of foundational program or leadership for people that are in this as a career. Anyway, I don't know what it would look like. It was just a question.

I'm going to host one, another cohort this year that Beck is going to fund and give out scholarships to some of PSAPs that may apply for that. Because it's been hugely successful here for me. UFA does it, some other cities do it here using a third party. So anyway, I don't know what the scope or what we could request or programs we could maybe submit for consideration.

Melanie:

A little bit of history, in 2019 we did sponsor some and it was based upon the best...

Scott:

Oh.

Melanie:

It's okay. With the minimum standards and best practices that are written. So there was CMCP that we offered, CTO and was it a supervisor manager on top? There was three different ones that we did sponsor that year. And what we did is pay for one for each of the PSAPs. It was very well attended and if somebody didn't have someone they could send, then we would be able to give it to someone else or we can add on some extras that the PSAPs could pay for on their own or what have you. So, I think the biggest thing when it comes to going out for RFP and getting some of these big ones, at least from a PSAP level, I think it's been difficult getting attendance it sounds like, and maybe not having enough attendance, they'd have to then cancel. So, then you'd have nothing in the state of Utah, and you may have to go outside the state to get these, but it was focused on leadership. It was mainly focused around the ones that are listed in the practices and the standards. So if that was to change, if you guys decided to change something like that and add another program in, I think it was up to the 911 division to say yes, we can do the leadership, but I think it would also just depend on what the cost looks like, what we have available in the budget. So I think there's a lot of pieces to that puzzle, but I'm sure we would be willing to entertain anything that the group would want us to look at. And within our procurement, we have procurement rules that we have to abide by. So that changes a little bit, right? We'd have to definitely go out for RFP.

Scott:

Sure. Or yeah, like I said, it probably won't make it this year, but I'm just trying to get an idea the scope of what we could... But I was looking more of a management or executive leadership and I know there's CPL and all that, but those are checkbox classes to me. I really like those ones where you get ongoing as part of it, ongoing coaching and one-on-one time. Because my philosophy is that as you build your leaders and allow them to do self-reflection and introspection and they reevaluate things, that begins to trickle down in your organization and it starts to embed the culture where some of these other classes, I feel, like APCO and NENA, they're just so broad in their check the boxes. Yeah, you might do a project or something, but it doesn't dive into the real issues we're dealing with necessarily, of relationship management and yeah, you taught me that, but what are my shortcomings to be able to be more flexible and understanding and work through those issues instead of trying to compare those notes to something I learned in a book or a class. So that's what I'm looking at it from, is not necessarily the lower level but management and executive leadership and managing in this environment of jellyfish and all these needs and all these other things that we're dealing with. And then it'll trickle into retention. So if you fix a lot of these things, I feel foundationally and start to change those in your culture... We've

seen some of that here where people are leaving now for life events or they just couldn't do the job in training. We're not really losing people a lot anymore because they're pissed and VEC sucks, right? It's more of life. So anyway, I don't want to... That was just a question, where I'm coming from. So I'll put stuff together and we'll talk about it more I'm sure. But thank you though.

Alicia:

I know that we've seen a need just within the seven DPS centers. Just the change in the flex of having more CMPCP. Not to mention that it's \$1,000 to \$1,500 for one student and then more CTOs throughout the state. I mean those are definitely high need because heaven forbid we have the opportunity to quit training new people. And then there was also NENA excellence in dispatch certificate that one of my dispatchers found. They aren't high ticket items, but it was a new... I don't know, an advancement series that some of the others could look at and see. So that was a new one to me.

Scott:

And really quickly, Alicia, on the CTO issue, I don't know if you guys all prefer NENA or APCO, but when we transition to APCO, all my training [inaudible 00:46:31] supervisors have been certified as instructors. So if you need trainers or something, we'll come do it for nothing as long as you... If it's far as in St. George, I would maybe ask Justin to put them up. But I'll give you the staff so we can host a lot of trainings and stuff because we're certified on the APCO side anyway for a bunch of classes, CTO, 40 hour, fire. So for you all that's a resource, I'd be more than happy to share my trainers to do your... If you don't want to pay those expenses, then all we have to pay to APCO is whatever the cost is to get the book or the certificate. So I'm just throwing that out there for you guys. We just did something for Provo, and it was a week-long thing and it cost them \$99 for the book from APCO. That's all we charged them.

Alicia:

We've kind of moved away from the APCO classes because we felt that the NENA provided us more of what we needed and it was similar to what your discussion was previously with the checkbox thing. But thank you.

Captain Trotta:

Yep. We can work on those trainings for you, Melanie, get those for you. I would like to see those three back because I see some advancement and I've actually changed two managers like Alicia's talking about here. So whatever we could do.

Melanie:

Hey, if you guys can just go ahead and send me the links to the information, that will provide me some great information as I'm preparing the budgets and if you've got numbers or anything you can attach to that just so I know what kind of budget to ask for, that will definitely help as well.

Captain Trotta:

Thank you.

Melanie:

Was there anything else from anybody? Okay, moving on, the last one is the [inaudible 00:48:14] training. I just wanted to reiterate after the PSAP training or the meeting that we had, if anybody has questions that they're coming up with, with specific reports or requests that you're getting from anybody in your jurisdictions that you're having difficulties getting reports for, will you send me an email requesting the details to what you're looking for and then I can send that to our trainer and have him ready to walk through those when you guys are on site in April. That way I think it'll just keep our time limited to the QA. It'll give us more time to meet if we've got one-off things to discuss and be ready for the P25 meeting in the afternoon. That's all I've got. If you guys have questions or follow up for anything from me, I'm good.

Scott:

Yeah, on the [inaudible 00:49:01] thing, I remember I put a request and if it was done, I don't know if they did it right. You know how it says less than 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20, 21 to 60? I wanted to add for me, like a 21 to 30, a 31 to 50 or 60. Because I'm really trying to figure out in that 21 to 40, because my numbers, I'm still messing with them, is. I'd like to know if it's 22 seconds versus 40 seconds. Am I less than 30 overall or closer to 40? I mean my goal of course is under 20, but just trying to figure that out. And like I said, I know I made this request once and they may or may not have went in and did it, but they did it. They added [inaudible 00:49:52], it didn't make sense if they did it. So anyway, that was one thing. And then I think Kevin and I both had that issue on that text message the other day, of whether or not that timed out or it dropped and it was an unknown agent and then Kevin said he was getting similar unknown agent when he looked. So that would be my only other thing we'd look for clarification on, at that training or an understanding of that.

Melanie:

Do you have the original email that you were asking for the additional 21 to 30, 31 to 50? If you do, can you forward that back to me?

Scott:

Sure, yeah, I can find it.

Melanie:

Okay, cool.

Scott:

Like I said, it wasn't hugely critical. I just thought it'd be easier for me to explain when someone runs my stats, or I get another legislative audit or something.

Melanie:

Yeah, no, no problem. I'll refresh the emails and I can make sure that they're ready to discuss that in April.

Scott:

Thanks.

Melanie:

Okay, I think that's it everyone. Oh, go ahead.

Neil:

Thanks Melanie.

Melanie:

You're welcome.

Neil:

All right, the next item on the agenda is the discussion on Senate bill 212.

Scott:

So, I don't really want to have a discussion. I just wanted to... And I wanted maybe Tina... All I was wanted to just point out was with the passage of Senate Bill 212, I think it calls for at least one if not two audits. One under the legislative management committee and one under the legislative audit committee. All I wanted to be put on the table was, and I'm assuming this would be the case, that if or when those start, that at least the chair or the committees will have a chance to be part of that or interviewed about certain things... About how things are going. Any improvements from the end user if there's areas for gains efficiency and stuff. It's not necessarily... There's no agenda, I just wanted to put it out there to make sure that if they're going to open the books again and make sure that public safety and the PSAP committees don't necessarily get overlooked during the fact finding or the review. But then again, I'm pretty sure they haven't laid out the scope yet of what those are going to look like. So I just wanted to throw it out there and just have it on the radar. Because I think it has to be done by November of this year. So that was all, I didn't want to get into a discussion of anything else. I just wanted to bring that up. So thanks.

Neil:

I believe in the past they've reached out to certain PSAPs in the committees, is that correct, Tina?

Tina:

I trying to get over to that screen. Yeah, they have. I'm sure they will. And if not, we'll certainly recommend that for sure.

Scott:

Yep. No, thank you. I appreciate it. I don't want it to fall off the radar.

Neil:

Perfect. Anything else on Senate Bill 212? All right, we'll go on to what I call round table. Anybody have anything else you want to discuss other than Shelly leaving? Dang it, Shelly.

Scott:

I do want to really quickly... I forget if it was Senate Bill 272 or House Bill 272... I think it was Senate 272. There was a mistake made. It's been corrected, but if you have an old version, it was an appropriations bill and they accidentally struck some \$3 fee that goes to the BMS grant program that I guess we all could apply for annually through BMS. So that was a mistake. So if you have a version of it or you think it was taken out, it actually was a mistake. It's put back in there. I guess they had a lot of turnover this legislative session in the legislative research office and there were so many bills, people were just... There wasn't a lot of institutional knowledge with some of the clerks or interns that they use. So if that was a concern, I still don't understand the funding for the BMS grant program, but when we saw that fee get struck, we were curious of, okay, what else funds that program for the PSAP? So that funding has been restored in its original form in the statute. It came out by accident, but it was passed with it, if that makes any sense.

Neil:

Yes. Anybody have anything else? I'd just like to thank Shelly and tell her goodbye. I hate to see her go, but she was the first chairperson of this committee. So thanks for everything Shelly, and...

Scott:

Thank you. Have they named a successor?

Shelly:

Thank you guys and yes, they have. It's an internal candidate. Christie Walker is her name and you guys will see her a lot. She was in the first center manager course that UCA hosted, so she actually knows quite a few of you guys [inaudible 00:55:07] from that. But she'll do great and yeah, I hope you guys get a good replacement and one, Justin, wants somebody more talkative than me, so be careful on your screening, so...

Captain Trotta:

You'll be hard to replace.

Shelly:

Thanks. Thanks guys.

Neil:

All right. Anything else? Tina, do you need anything from us? I'm sure you're playing catch up and up to your eyeballs.

Tina:

Yeah, just breathing through a straw right now. But no, I think everything's good. If you guys need anything, let me know, let us know. But we appreciate the input and we're excited for the training on the 26th and the meeting we're going to have. Phil and Mike will both be there for the second half of the day to talk about the P25 stuff. And Shelly can't leave. Other than that, Shelly, I mean you've been on the 911 committee, the old 911 committee. Not to say you're old, but we've all been there, the old 911 committee and you've just been so awesome. So I hate to see you leave mostly just because I'm jealous and I enjoy working with you, so don't be a stranger.

Scott:

Oh, Shelly, you come here. I'll leave.

Shelly:

Thanks, no, but I appreciate it.

Neil:

Thanks guys.

Scott:

Thanks everybody.

Neil:

So [inaudible 00:56:43] next meeting to May 24th. Doesn't necessarily have to be that day. We just talked about going every other month, so I tentatively dated it on the 24th. Any suggestions on the next meeting?

Captain Trotta:

That would be harder for me, we have the public safety summit for DPS that week. If I could have a different day, that would be beneficial. Even Thursday would be better.

Neil:

Is that the Wednesday? So the 25th?

Captain Trotta:

Yeah, it's Thursday.

Scott:

That's also the week before Memorial Day weekend and our kickoff to crazy for the next three or four months. I mean, do we want to move it a week earlier if we need to have one? I don't personally... Doesn't matter to me.

Neil:

Not for sure other than what we find out tomorrow. The next UCA board meeting, I believe is in April 9th. Is that right? Guessing.

Tina:

April 19th

Neil:

19th.

Tina:

Yeah.

Neil:

So I don't know what will come out of that. We could... What if we keep it tentatively scheduled for the 25th and then if we can move it farther out, we will. How's that sound?

Scott:

You're in charge. Whatever you want to do.

Neil:

Perfect. I think we all like to meet if we have agenda items and not just to meet. I think I do like seeing Justin in his headset though, but...

Justin:

You guys do realize everyone's getting one of these for Christmas, right?

Scott:

If it's more than \$25, I can't accept it.

Justin:

\$25. Good job.

Melanie:

I don't know if everyone would rock it like you do, Justin.

Justin:

Yeah, I want to... We're going to Photoshop Captain Trotta with one of these.

Captain Trotta:

I know. I always make the joke, if it comes in men's, I'll take it. But you rock it pretty good.

Scott:

Is there a plan yet for your consolidation of your two non-contiguous centers? Or is that just... You have legislation and now you're going to think about doing it? Or is there a plan and a timeline?

Captain Trotta:

You with me in San Juan?

Scott:

Sure. No, you unless someone else is going to consolidate.

Captain Trotta:

Well, I didn't know if you knew somebody else to do it, so yeah. San Juan, I think we're on board to go on, on the 30th of this month to make it official. The governor still has to sign in 212. It's on his desk right now, and so he's had it since the 13th. So as soon as it is, I think Tina's just waiting for our letter and everything's already in place and we're started doing the job. And was there a second one that I don't know about?

Scott:

No, the way it was written, none of us can do it. Which was done intentionally, which I think was smart.

Captain Trotta:

Yeah, and really the way it was worded is DPS could actually consolidate with anybody. The contiguous border just meant anybody couldn't consolidate with us because we have agency statewide. So it's kind of a different thing. It was a good way to learn.

Scott:

That's fine. I'm just curious if you got a plan or anything, I'm just wondering.

Captain Trotta:

Yep.

Scott:

I don't know where San Juan County is, so...

Captain Trotta:

No, it actually got us a lot better communications with Grand County and Emory County to work better with the way we work together, so it's been good. Thanks again, Tina, for your help on all that.

Tina:

Yeah, for sure.

Captain Trotta:

Okay.

Neil:

Okay. I'll accept a motion to adjourn from somebody.

Captain Trotta:

I'll give you that motion. Neil.

Scott:

I second it.

Neil:

Perfect. All in favor. Click the red button on your screen.

Melanie:

Thanks you guys.